So here you are in pieces♥ | Trying to prove♥ | To us it's real♥

Civic issues
Monday, April 20, 2015 Monday, April 20, 2015 // 0 comments


Second post of the day, just some debate over civic issues.

Just read the newspaper for today and there's several articles on civic-mindedness of Singaporeans and this brought me to the above topic.

I will just open the post for debates,will state my stand but there's no right or wrong answer and no hostile replies please to avoid the media's attention or what not.Life is harsh enough so let this be a peaceful debate.

So first and foremost,I take the public transportation everyday.Both bus and MRT (the tube for Western countries). For those who are not aware, Singapore has reserved corner seats and labelled those seats as "Reserved Seating" for the elderly, pregnant ladies, injured, kids practically those that need the seat more than the majority. Okay, I have absolutely no issues with allocation seats for them and it's just the corner seats that have been reserved so we still have the bulk of other seats. These reserved seats are not enforced by laws so those who feel like sitting on the reserved seats can jolly well do so, if you don't have an ounce of conscience but I have. It is mainly the citizen "journalists" that made hooha to the episodes of young people sitting on these "special seats".It's called the infamous STOMP,but I do believe that if you're thick skinned enough you definitely can go ahead enjoying settling your butt on those seats.I for sure, will avoid the seats at all costs unless there's really a need for me to sit and I really don't want that to happen for I rather stand from Pasir Ris to Joo Koon.

Recently,due to changes in my timetable,I usually take the 10+am train on the EW line.As most of you guys know,ALL MRT lines in Singapore are damn crowded like all the time!So there was this day, I got a seat as usual cause early bird catches the worm,I boarded at Pasir Ris,alighted at Tampines,go back to Pasir Ris in order to get a non-reserved seating as usual:)This made my usual 1HR35MINS trip to school an almost 2HR one but for a good seat,no regrets!

So I chose a seat 2 seats away from the closest reserved seat and when the train reached pasir ris,many people boarded and quickly filled up all the seats.On the reserved seat 2 seats to my left,it was filled by a 40 odd looking lady whom doesn't look weak/old/exhausted etc.It's alright,none of my business anyways,so as the train continued its journey to the West,more and more people boarded the train.By the time it reached Kallang,it was already full,the last person literally can kiss the doors I'm not kidding. Then at Raffles Place,the crowd slowly eased off as commuters started alighting at the CBD area, but the cabin wasn't that empty either, at least ALL the seats were still filled.Then this old man boarded the train,he decided to turn to his left from the door he embarked on the train so he was facing my row of seats.He had to rely on a walking cane to walk so it's pretty obvious that it wasn't very convenient for him to stand.Then everybody was just staring at those sitting at the reserved seats since they were the once whom ought to give up their seats but the 4 humans on the reserved seats did not show any signs of willingness to make this HUGE sacrifice and for the rest of us in the "safe" zone,we too did not feel obliged to give up our seats. For me, I believe that as long as I paid for my transport fare which is not cheap at all, and I made huge sacrifices to leave home early just to do that "bouncing back" to get a good seat,I definitely am not obliged to give up my seat regardless of what instances unless you give me $10000?I might consider.

So we waited.Then these 2 aunties boarded the train and made a huge commotion: Ahhhh halooooo can  let this uncle sit?Uncle no strength (in Chinese) to the entire row and immediately i turned to my left and saw this 40 year old lady still sitting at the darn reserved seat not willing to stand up. I won't blame the rest on the non-reserved seats so I made the sacrifice unwilingly,how sad,I wasted 30 mins just to stand all the way to Buona Vista.

What do you think with regards to this issue?

With Love,
Cheryl


◀OlderNewer▶


wallflower


"Standing on the fringes of life offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor."
-The Perks of Being A Wallflower; Stephen Chbosky.


Chats♥





Layout by: babypenguin
Best viewed in Google Chrome.
Screen resolution: 1024 x 600
Main sources: